Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Landowner is the Key (Mt. 10:1-16a)

I have always been puzzled by the reading for this Sunday (Mt. 10:1-16a) but I ran across this commentary on the reading in Magnificat.

What is most striking about the landowner is the relentless way he himself goes out to find the laborers (five times), his willingness to hire the "rejects," and his desire to pay them a full day's wage. Jesus tells us that the kingdom of heaven is like this landowner. The love of heaven takes the initiative in seeking us out. The love of heaven chooses us despite our utter unworthiness. And the love of heaven is lavish in its self-gift to us. To love the kingdom of heaven is to love this landowner and the way he acts. The temptation is for us to measure our life and "the way things should be" by a standard at odds with God...

The parable is about the landowner, not about me. Life is about the landowner, not about me, only I just can't get my mind around that.

No comments: