Monday, September 15, 2008

Amazement, Sorrow... Then What?


Jesus' father and mother were amazed at what was said about him; and Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, "Behold, this child is destined for the fall and rise of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be contradicted and you yourself a sword will pierce so that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed." (Lk 2"33-35)

Today is the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows. I cannot help but see the progression of emotions that Mary experiences in this reading. I can relate to her
experience. Thankfully it is more than sorrow!


Mary is first amazed at what is being said of her son, of his potential and his promise. Sorrow quickly follows as the realities of the path that leads to that promise is revealed. Fortunately, we know the rest of the story and know that sorrow is not the final word but merely an unavoidable step on the journey to joy. It is a step that makes the joy more beautiful.


I can relate to Mary today. The amazement and the initial excitement of the move and all its promise is wearing a little thin today. I am feeling the sorrow in the reality of being separated from 2/3 of my family and not knowing where God is leading us. Buying our first house is enough to throw me into a sorrowful place :).


But, while I don't know the rest of the story, I can trust that this is a step toward a deeper joy. My family will be reunited. A job will come through. A mortgage isn't the end of the world. After the initial amazement and the sorrow comes the real beauty... and the sorrow of today makes it all the more beautiful when it comes.

No comments: