Sunday, October 19, 2008

Turning a Maze into a Labyrinth



I think that one of the things going on in my life is that I am starting to see my life more as a labyrinth than a maze. A maze is full of choices that are made. Some choices are "right" and others are "wrong." Some lead to dead ends, others take you closer to the goal.




Labyrinths, on the other hand, don't have wrong turns (or right turns for that matter). They are simply paths that twist and turn. You do arrive at your destination in spite of (or better because of) the twists and turns. The only choice in a labyrinth is to keep going, to stop, or to turn around. There is no other path.

The moral life, with its focus on freedom and choice, depicts life as a maze.

Spirituality depicts life as a labyrinth.


This decision to move to WI has made me rely much more on the image of the labyrinth. I am simply following a path that God has set out for me. This is a big turn in the road, but it is a turn in the road, not a turn I am choosing to make (other than to stay on the road).

Maybe that is why the labyrinth is speaking to me these days.

No comments: